As the Regional Sports Assembly for the Central Highlands, Sports Central are committed to supporting the local sporting community through the unique and challenging period created by COVID-19. To offer our services and share key information with a greater number of sporting clubs and leagues, active recreation groups and community sector partners, the Board of Management have decided to waive our membership fee for 2021.
Last year we spoke with a significant number of our members to develop a greater understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing community sport in 2021 and beyond.
Some of the key themes to emerge include:
- Financial viability – The potential need for a new financial model
- Ongoing adherence to COVID-19 protocols
- Concern for the wellbeing of members, including the social isolation of those members who are considered most at risk
- Re-engagement with members/participants
- Re-engagement with volunteers
- The financial impact of COVID-19 on the broader community – Can current and prospective participants afford to play?
- The need to explore alternative program delivery models
- The potential lack of support from State Sporting Associations due to the reduced size of workforces
- The potential of a COVID-19 outbreak in the local community
- What is the ‘new normal’ for community sport?
We will be using the key themes and insights gathered to shape the services and support we offer in the immediate future.
If your sporting organisation is not a member, I encourage you to join us and utilise our services, including up to three hours of one on one support from our staff, tailored to meet your needs. Our team can support your organisation across a wide range of club management, inclusion, participation and health and safety services. Our full range of services can be found here.
If you wish to contact us, please email email@example.com, phone on 5331 6966 or get in touch directly with any of our staff that you have an existing connection with.