View full site Menu
Celebrating This Girl Can Week
This Girl Can Week is dedicated to encouraging more women to give physical activity a shot, or return to activity after a break.
Sports Central celebrated women of all shapes, cultures and ages at our Come & Try Sports event held on Monday 18th March at Morshead Park, Redan.
Women tried modified versions of Touch Football, Soccer, Cricket & AFL and participated in a consultation session featuring guest speakers from the community.
Participants thoroughly enjoyed the event and many will now transition into regular offerings of these social and modified sports.
Initial feedback from the consultation session found that women prefer turn up and play, no commitment style sport activities that allows them to be flexible with their schedules.
We would like to take the opportunity to thank our sports partners and guest speakers for their contribution to this event.
- Switch: Strengthening Women in Touch Football & Ballarat Touch Football Association
- VicHealth Soccer Mums
- Social Sixes
- Western Bulldogs
- Sharon, Rock Up Netball & Ballarat YMCA
- Sarah, Western Bulldogs Community Foundation (Daughters of the West participant)
- Rochelle, Ballarat Council (Active Women & Girls Strategy ambassador)
- Deb, This Girl Can VIC ambassador
- City of Ballarat (Harmony Fest)
In addition to our Come & Try Sports Day, Sports Central have been sharing stories of women across the community to inspire others to get involved with the campaign. Read about our inspiring local champions:
- Sharon, a local mum who facilitates Rock Up Netball at Delacombe
- Gemma, a young women who is encouraging others to step outside of their comfort zones
Thank you to all participants that attended our Come and Try event, we’re proud to support women like you in our community and are always seeking further advice from women on how to better support you.
This Girl Can Week runs from March 18 – March 24. Further information and events can be found on the This Girl Can website.